Friday, May 01, 2009

Creamy sausage and leek pasta

I'm all at sea with the changing weather at the moment. One minute it is hot and sunny and I'm rolling out the barbecue and sipping on a cool glass of rose and the next, I'm layering up the sweaters and wondering whether I should light the fire. Food-wise, it is a mine-field.

At this time of year, a little cold snap has me shying away from the salads and fresh spring greens that have been featuring in most of my recent meals and instead I crave a little of the comfort that comes with something a little more hearty.


I can't pretend to you that this is a healthy supper. Not in the slightest. But it was jolly good. And super quick to whip up after work. It felt like a real treat and certainly warmed me up on a chilly evening.

You could use any good quality sausages for this creamy pasta dish. Mine were 'pork, wholegrain mustard and buttered onion' ones. They were very good though next time I might go with a plainer pork and herb option.

Creamy sausage pasta with leeks and mushrooms
Serves 1 but easily doubled/tripled etc


3 good quality sausages

handful pine nuts
1 large leek
1 small clove garlic
handful of mushrooms of choice
small glass white wine
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 heaped tbsp of creme fraiche
sprinkling of sage
handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
pasta shapes

1. Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan and set to one side. Start by chopping the sausages into half inch chunks. Slice the leek, garlic and mushrooms.

2. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large non-stick pan and add the sausage chunks. Brown on all sides before adding the leeks. Once these have started to soften (you may need a touch more oil or butter), add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook over a low heat while you prepare the pasta.

3. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the pasta - cook as per packed instructions.

4. When the sausage/leeks etc are cooked through, turn the heat up a little and pour in the wine and two mustards. Bubble for a few minutes until the smell of alcohol has disappeared and the liquid has reduced a little. Lower the heat and stir in the creme fraiche and herbs. Stir well to combine and heat through.

5. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Stir well to coat thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle over the pine nuts and garnish with more herbs before serving.

8 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I don't care its not healthy - sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the weather, we went for a risotto this evening because there was such a chill in the air.

I've never had any luck with sausage and pasta, I really do like the look/sound of this though.

Maria♥ said...

Antonia, this sounds divine!! I must try this soon.

Maria
x

Nora said...

Mmmm, that sounds so yummy. What a good combination of flavours. Will have to give this one a try...

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Perfect for this time of the year Antonia, or anytime for that matter.

♥Rosie♥ said...

I adore pasta dishes and tis one sounds gorgeous!

Rosie x

Boracay hotel said...

i should have my own bite as well

West Africa Gold Exploration said...

Really enjoyed reading your blog post. I will have to bookmark your site for later. I wrote down your recipe also.