Thursday, May 21, 2009

Brie, bacon and spinach omelette


I've spent much of last week looking after my two small nephews. The eldest is three and the younger is 18 months so I'm sure you can imagine that I was rather rushed off my feet. We had a lovely time but I was glad to have help on hand for some of the time. My mother came for a couple of nights and on one of the days cooked me this rather delicious omelette for lunch.

In fact this is more fritatta than omelette in that it is made with potatoes. Not only potatoes though, it also contains lovely melty brie, bits of bacon and a handful of spinach. Served alongside some salad it made for an extremely tasty lunch. I thought it was perfect hot with the brie melting into the other ingredients, but I can imagine it would work well cold too for a picnic or a filling lunch to take to work.

Her recipe came from one of those supermarket recipe cards. I think it was from Sainsburys - apparently it is also good if you switch the spinach for cooked green beans.
Brie, bacon and spinach omelette
Serves 2-3



Ingredients

3 large free range eggs
2 rashers of bacon, chopped (or use lardons)
5 spring onions, chopped
100g baby spinach leaves
100g cooked new potatoes, sliced
Approx 130g Brie


1. Cook the bacon in a non-stick frying pan until just golden then add the spring onions and cook gently for a further 3 minutes. The bacon should give off enough fat of its own accord, but if not, add a little olive oil. Meanwhile, cook the spinach in a little water and then squeeze dry.

2. Add the potatoes and spinach and heat through.

3. Slice the brie and lay the slices on top of the vegetable and bacon mixture. Pre-heat the grill.

4. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat together with a fork. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook in the pan for a few minutes until the egg has started to set on the bottom. Place pan under the pre-heated grill to cook and brown the top. When just firm, remove from oven and slice to serve. Accompany with sliced tomatoes and a green salad.

10 comments:

Nora said...

Wow! That looks gorgeous. I love the way it's all gooey on the inside. Mmmm, lovely brie!

Maggie said...

I bet that omelette tasted extra special - especially with the full on experience of looking after two small boys!

Sasha said...

Wow, this looks amazing!
Brie cheese is just one of those things that can make anything and everything just a bit more special.

Katiecakes said...

Oooh, that looks so tasty. I love how oozy the brie looks. Yum!

Katie xox

Peter M said...

This omelette would be a fab for a brunch...no holding back with brie and bacon either.

Sylvie said...

That looks and sounds wonderful, Antonia.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Looking after little ones can be very exhausting Antonia. Your omelette looks amazing and I bet it tasted so good too.

all in one printer said...

very deliciously tummy tempting

Hollow Legs said...

I've been really getting into frittatas lately, they're such a good way to use up bits in the fridge. Last time I forgot to add cheese though; nightmare!

Spider Girl said...

Had this recipe card from sainsburys about 5 yrs ago made it once it was delicious then i lost the card when we moved house i'm so pleased to find it again can't wait to make it thanks