Friday, May 29, 2009

Barbecued pineapple with rum glaze


I'm struggling with the weather at the moment. One day it is bright sunshine and high temperatures and the next, there is a chilly wind, driving rain and general greyness. I'm inappropriately dressed at almost all times and my fridge is also often inappropriately stocked. Two nights ago, there was a serious nip in the air and I decided that I'd buy ingredients to make a warming chilli for the next evening. Lo and behold - when I arrived back from work yesterday it was muggy and sticky and I was craving a summery salad. Not very clever!

Today is another beautiful day and I hear that the forecast is good for the weekend too. I'm going to a barbecue on Saturday so fingers crossed that is more successful than our attempts last weekend. After a hectic weekend which involved two weddings at different ends of the country (one on Saturday and one on Sunday), we arrived home on Monday pretty exhausted. We did very little all day and eventually decided that a late-afternoon barbecue would be the perfect way to round the weekend off. I was particularly pleased with this suggestion as barbecuing is the flower-sender's domaine and I was too tired to contemplate even the most relaxed of kitchen activity. He kept it simple with homemade burgers, sausages and vegetable skewers and all was going well as we sipped a glass of rosé in the garden. Everything was ready to eat and then... you guessed it... it started to rain. Typical!

The food tasted just as good indoors as it happens and fortunately, the rain eased off just enough for me to dash back outside to cook this rather good barbecue dessert. Big chunks of pineapple glazed with a sticky rum marinade - the perfect way to utilise the last of the heat from the charcoal and a lovely way to round off the meal!

The recipe came from a
terrific barbecue book that I own, written by Eric Treuile and Birgit Erath. This book is packed with fantastic recipes for cooking on and off the barbecue - each one is accompanied by a mouthwatering photograph and there are lots of original and inventive ideas.

I think this would be very impressive served with homemade pineapple ice-cream. I didn't have any, but I had just made some strawberry ice-cream so we served it alongside. Recipe coming up soon!

Barbecued pineapple with sweet rum glaze
Serves 4

1 unpeeled medium pineapple, quartered
2 tbsp dark rum
2 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp muscovado sugar
1 tbsp lime juice

1. Cut away the core from each pineapple quarter.

2. Make the glaze - in a small bowl, mix together rum, honey, sugar and lime juice. Whisk or stir until dissolved.

3. Brush each quarter with some of the glaze and grill on medium-low coals on the barbecue until hot and lightly charred on each side. You might like to brush with more glaze when you turn over.

4. Serve hot with remaining glaze drizzled over the top.

11 comments:

David Hall said...

That sounds delish Antonia! Bit of ice cream, lovely. Very nice. Happy days.

Cheers
David

James said...

This sounds a much easier way of doing it - I normally cook the pineapple in caramel first.

Malibu ice cream is the thing for that caribbean taste......

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I tasted some beautiful pineapples at the market the other day which would be lovely barbequed.

Maggie said...

We love bbq pineapple. Great choice!
Unfortunately, the weather seems as though it is going to take another downturn.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh this sounds so delicious Antonia! Just wait until hubby cracks out the BBQ I'm going to try this recipe out ;0)

Sylvie said...

Now you're talking! ;o)

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I'm not a fan of pineapple, but... with rum? BBQ'd? Hmm... I could get interested!

Sam said...

This looks really tasty and very summery! I'll try it next time I have a barbecue.

Ted said...

mmm I love pineapple on the BBQ. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it. The BBQ seems to make it so wonderfully juicy.

Usually I sprinkle with some brown sugar before cooking but the idea of adding rum is a good one that I'll ahve to try in the future. Definitely one to serve with some good quality vanilla ice cream.

Abitofafoodie said...

David - yes, happy days indeed. Food just needs to be simple when the sun is out, doesn't it?

James - cooking in caramel sounds delicious too.

Val - how delicious. Mine just came from the supermarket but were still pretty good.

Margaret - yes it does seem to have gone rather chilly again. Just in time for the weekend!

Rosie - let's keep our fingers crossed for some more good weather so that you can try it out!

Sylvie - juicy and delicious, just perfect for a sunny day.

aforkful - everything tastes better with a little added rum!

Sam - is a nice way to use up the final BBQ heat whilst being very simple.

Ted - I couldn't believe how much juice came out. Yes, good quality vanila ice-cream would have been perfect.

Furniture removals said...

cang wait to try this one