Friday, January 21, 2011

Digestive biscuits for cheese


Whilst I would always choose pudding over cheese, I am quite partial to a good cheeseboard. A new cheese shop has just opened in our local town and we decided it would be rude not to investigate. We came home with a bag bulging with cheeses we hadn't tried before and were eager to test them out.

To accompany our cheeses, I decided to bake some cheese biscuits. Only I struggled to find a suitable recipe. None of my recipe books seemed to have one (and I have a LOT of recipe books) and the web was limited too. Or rather, it was hard to search for them as 'cheese biscuits' tends to produce lots of recipes for cheese-flavoured biscuits. I found lots of recipes for oatcakes but I have to confess that I loathe oatcakes. They taste, as my Grandfather apparantly used to say, 'like hanging your tongue out of the car window'.


Although I know it is far from sophisticated, I do enjoy a digestive biscuit with my cheese. Particularly with hard cheeses. I know it is frowned upon by cheese afficionados, but I like them. So there. I found a recipe and away I went...

The recipe can be found here. It worked pretty well although the dough was a little sticky and, at the same time, crumbly which made it hard to work with. Trying to cut shapes (I couldn't resist trying out my new labrador cutter), was challenging and I should have just stuck to circles. They smelt fantastic as they baked though and I was optimistic.


The taste? Well, I was a little disappointed if I'm honest. The flavour was really good but they were very heavy. I used a medium oatmeal and think pinhead or fine oatmeal would have given a better result. They worked well with the cheeses though - particularly with the blue which was a Colton Basset Stilton.

I would make these again, but next time I'll add a touch more flour (or less liquid) to prevent such sticky dough. I'll roll the dough thinner to make slightly more manageable biscuits.

4 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your biscuits sound really good and your photos are gorgeous. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

MaryMoh said...

To me, that's already a great attempt. Your biscuits look delicious to me. I would love to dip in hot milk and enjoy :D I'm sure your next attempt would be even better.

Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours said...

Try the wheaten biscuits for cheese recipe in the GBBO cookbook.

It is fantastic. Slightly digestivey but not at the same time.

Maggie said...

I am with you when it comes to having a good digestive with cheese. Colston Bassett is my first choice when it comes to blue cheeses, followed closely by Cropwell Bishop. Your biscuits look so good I think I should make some too.