Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Berry gratin


Just a quick little post about a rather scrumptious pud I whipped up last week. It had been a sunny, summery day and we decided upon a last-of-the-season barbecue. I had a craving for something sweet to finish with and happened to have some raspberries sitting in the fridge. The hedgerows round us are bursting with blackberries so I whipped out to pick a few of those to mix with the raspberries and then took to the internet in search of a quick recipe that would fit the bill.


Before the grilling!


I had in mind a rather delicious dessert I've enjoyed in France a few times - berries baked in a runny custard mixture which is then flashed under the grill to create a slightly crisp top layer. Very simple and completely delicious.

I looked at quite a few recipes - most involved ingredients I didn't have to hand. But then I landed upon a spectacularly simple recipe from La Tartine Gourmande. It took moments to prepare and only a few minutes under the grill to cook. It tasted just as I was hoping and I know I'll be making it again. The subtle flavour of cardamon is a real winner and compliments the berries just beautifully.

As I am rather greedy, I have to confess to making this recipe for just two people in rather large ramekins. As such it took a little longer to cook...

I won't reprint the recipe here as you can find it here with photos far more beautiful than mine (...it was dark, I was in a rush to eat it!).

5 comments:

Lucy said...

This looks so delicious! Sort of like a creme brulee, but with lovely berries. Fab :)

Shaheen said...

Looks very scrummy and very seasonal. Yum.

Maria♥ said...

Delicious looking pud!

Maria
x

Lynn said...

Oh that looks lovely. Must get some berries when I'm out shopping tomorrow.

Joanna said...

Mm, looks good
xJoanna