Friday, November 09, 2007

Under the weather - 7 random facts meme

I guess it is that time of year, but I am currently tucked up on the sofa feeling quite dreadful, having gone down with some dreaded lurgy or other. I am feeling rather sorry for myself and cooking, as you can imagine, has not been high on my list this week. In fact, I think it is interesting the kinds of foods people crave when they are ill (if any). Last night I managed to eat a bowl of Marks and Spencer's mashed potato with touch of mustard and a few leeks stirred in. Very odd! What foods do you turn to for comfort when you are under the weather?

Anyway, since there has been little activity in the kitchen this week. I thought I'd take this opportunity to take part in the meme for which Rosie from Rosie Bakes a 'Peace' of Cake tagged me earlier in the week. For those who have not yet discovered Rosie's blog, do take a look - she cooks up mouthwatering cakes and bakes (among other things) that have me wanting to run to her door for a slice on a very regular basis. Thank you, Rosie, for tagging me!

The rules of this meme are very simple:1. Link to your tagger and post these rules.2. Share 7 facts about yourself: some random, some weird.3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post and list their names (linking to them).4. Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment at their Blogs. Here are seven random facts about me.

I'm stretching the rules slightly (I hope you will let me off seeing as I am poorly). I haven't tagged anyone in particular - I see that most of those I would like to tag have already taken part in this meme. I would instead, like to proffer an open invitation to anyone reading this to please take part. Rosie - I hope you don't mind. Maybe I will try to be more specific once I am feeling a little better!

I don't like to deprive you all of photos for too long though so I am using this as a good excuse to share a few more of my South Africa photos from my recent trip. Hope you enjoy them!

1. I come from a large family. Counting my parents, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews, it comes to 19 people. Counting aunts, uncles and cousins on my mother's side, we are well into the hundreds! I am the youngest 'sibling' by 11 years and therefore have eight nephews and nieces despite being just 28.

2. I am, sadly, unable to eat shellfish. This has been the case for around15 years now - I would have no idea how to cook any form of shellfish if it found its way into my kitchen.

3. I have a 'thing' about stars. I collect antique glasses etched with stars, all my plates and dishes have stars on them and I have a necklace I wear most of the time in the shape of a huge silver star.

4. I am not especially keen on rice. Especially white rice which, to me, has a most off-putting smell.

5. I absolutely hate filling the car up with petrol. I have no idea why. I just find it a really tedious task!

6. I absolutely adore Hot Cross Buns. At any time of day or night.

7. My favourite UK city is... Edinburgh. By miles and miles and miles...

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm not well either this week and have also been curled up on the sofa for the latter part of it. And guess what I had for dinner last night? Mashed potato with some greens stirred through it! Great minds... ;)
Enjoyed your meme. Huge family!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you're feeling poorly. Enjoy your comfort food and enjoy the telly for a while. xxx

Rosie said...

Hi antonia, Thank you for partaking in the Tag and also for your very kind words about my Blog. I wish I could pass you a nice slice of cake to make you feel better!!

I hope you're feeling much better soon!!

Rosie x

Abitofafoodie said...

Wendy - hope you are feeling better. Mash is just the thing when you are not well, isn't it?

Lynn - thank you. Starting to feel a little better now.

Rosie - You are welcome and thank you for the offer of cake - I'm sure it would make me feel a lot better!