Saturday, April 28, 2007

In the beginning, there was food...


I have to confess, that having spent some time creating this blog, I am now at a slight loss as to what I should write in my first 'posting'. I'm new to this...

Should I dive straight in and tell you about the divine chocolate mousse cake I served to some lucky friends last night, perhaps adding a photo of it oozing gently on the plate adorned with a few raspberries? Or perhaps tell you about the great coriander-laden swordfish I ate at La Porte des Indes on Wednesday? Or maybe give some sort of gripping introductory spiel about why I have started this blog? Hard to say really...

I'll return to the chocolate and the swordfish later. First, an introduction. This blog is an outlet for my food-related ramblings. I think about food pretty much all of the time. Right now, I'm wondering what I might have for supper. I'm mentally checking out the fridge -spinach, some fresh pasta, a convenient jar of sun-blush tomatoes, a tub of mascarpone. That could work...

I digress...

I plan to talk about what I'm eating and cooking, share recipes that I love, try and take a few arty photos of my most presentable creations. I'll review restaurants I visit, along with foodie shops and markets. I'll share interesting foodie facts. I'll probably rant a little. You'll have to indulge me. I like to rant. But it will be food-related ranting. About people who cut out carbohydrates probably.

As for wine, well, that is my other passion. I happen to work with wine all day long. I organise wine tastings and events. Not a bad job for a foodie really. So, I'll talk a fair bit about wine too. What I've been drinking, what I've enjoyed, what I've been drinking it with. I'm interested in food and wine matching so I may give a few hints and tips along the way.

I'd love you to join in - I'd welcome your comments and suggestions. Don't hold back. I'll indulge your rants too!

I am not, by the way, some sort of domestic goddess who bakes fresh bread at the drop of the hat, makes her own pasta on a regular basis or whips up a souffle in the blink of an eyelid. I love to cook but I'm not entirely against a tub of ready-made pasta sauce for those evenings when I get home late or can't be bothered. I'll make bread, yes, but it will be at the weekend, there will be flour all over the kitchen and I might well miss out a key ingredient (hopefully not the yeast).

In short, I love making, eating and talking about food. I am no expert, no culinary genius. Just... a bit of a foodie.

No comments: