Saturday, December 15, 2007

Ginger and soy salmon

I think that salmon works wonderfully well with Oriental flavours - even quite strong ones. This is a dish that I like to throw together quickly midweek when time is of the essence but I want something nourishing and reasonably healthy. If I have time, I would marinate the salmon in ingredients and then grill it, but more often that not I don't have time so I put everything in a foil parcel to keep all the flavours in whilst cooking. It seems to work well and tastes delicious when served with stir-fried vegetables and noodles cooked with a little sweet chilli sauce.

Ginger and Soy Salmon for One

Ingredients

1 salmon fillet

teaspoon freshly grated ginger

2 tablespoons soy sauce (I prefer dark as I love the strong flavour of soy but light might be better for some with fish)

1 teaspoon brown sugar

2 sliced spring onions

small handful bok choi

1 teaspoon finely chopped red chilli (to taste)

handful fresh coriander

To serve - selection of vegetables and noodles stir fried with sweet chilli sauce (or similar)

1. Place bok choi on a large piece of foil (large enough to create a parcel for the salmon). Place the salmon on top and cut a few slits in the flesh.

2. Sprinkle over the remaining ingredients and top with fresh coriander. Sprinkle over a couple of tablespoons of water to keep everything moist whilst cooking.

3. Bake the salmon at 180C for around 15-20 minutes , until just cooked through. Meanwhile stir-fry the vegetables and noodles.

4. Carefully open the parcel (steam will escape so take care not to burn yourself). Remove the coriander which will have wilted. Top with fresh coriander and serve with the noodles and vegetables.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, salmon does work well with oriental flavours. We do something similar to this but we don't normally put the bok choi in the parcel - will try that next time, thanks!

Greg said...

Absolutely my favorite flavors with salmon. I make something similar but I usually use some sweet mirin rather than brown sugar. Your presentation is beautiful.

Pixie said...

That looks incredibly delicious. Will have to try this sometime soon!

Abitofafoodie said...

Ginger - the bok choi is a nice addition. Sometimes I cook it separately to retain a little more bite as it does wilt to almost nothing in the parcel.

Greg - Thank you! Mirin would be great. I don't have any at the moment but must get some.

Pixie - thank you for stopping by. If you give it a try, let me know how it turns out.

Rosie said...

This really looks and sounds delicious!! What a mouth watering post mmmmmm.....

Rosie x

Maggie said...

I think I will definitely give this a go. The mingling of flavours sounds very tempting.
Happy Christmas and New Year. Mx

Maggie said...

I made this recipe for our dinner last night. It was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing.